Thursday, May 28, 2009

Simple Joys





Well, thank God for sunshine. And lemons five for a dollar and Keith finally having a date out of the sand box! I also got a large portion of the initial consult fee from the cosmetic dentist back, and promptly cashed it in and then traded that for loads and loads of bright, summer annuals.
I switched the bright blue pansies out for pale pink wave petunias bordered by sweet alyssum, little bunches of tiny white flowers. Now there are terra cotta pots of blue pansies everywhere around the house, on the front steps with the white hydrangea and along the table on the back deck.

At the local grocery, I make myself buy whatever fresh produce is on sale. Lately it's been lemons, kiwi, zucchini, melons and eggplant. I didn't know what on earth I would do with some of this bounty at first, but obviously, lemonade came to mind. It turned out delicious, but I really need a juicer.

I sliced the eggplant and roasted it with olive oil, Parmesan cheese, and Italian herbs and ate it with spaghetti sauce over top. It was really good. It was good without the sauce. In fact, I may go back, get another eggplant (they're one for a dollar), slice them up thin and bake them crispy. They tasted amazingly like potato chips.

I have been to the library and have a new armful of books to work my way through, fresh melons to be sliced and lemonade in the fridge. There's a load of laundry in the wash, which means fresh sheets on the bed tonight, smelling of lavender and tomorrow it will be in the eighties and I will have the whole day to enjoy the sun.

2 comments:

jlc said...

Ouuu the 80's sound wonderful right now!!!

And pics?!!? I had to rub my eyes three times. Loving your posts with pics!!



Too funny.... the hubbs shall be impressed with all your green thumbness. :)

Post Tenebras Lux said...

Hooray!